Click here to visit Shaws Corner
As he approached his middle age, George Bernard Shaw began looking for a modest, country house with reasonable access to London. A few miles outside of Welwyn Garden City, an unattractive Edwardian house in the village of Ayot St Lawrence provided the perfect solution. Built as the 'New Rectory', this house was sufficiently isolated to give George Bernard Shaw the peace and quiet he desired for his writing, yet not so remote that it was an easy journey back to London. For nearly 14 years George Bernard Shaw rented the house from the Church, buying it eventually in 1920, and he spent the majority of his advanced years in the seclusion of his garden. In November 1950 he died at Shaw's Corner, and the house became a shrine to him and his great literary works.